Five Things I Learned This Year
1. Living in the flow is easier. Thanks, Jess Lively. No more scheduling my weekend and worrying about completing a task by my self-imposed deadline. Things will get done whether I stress out or not. Might as well back off.
2. And related... embrace the moment. This was our year of moments, of living life to the max and saying "yes" to adventures. We loved it. We don't feel like a married couple bogged down with responsibilities. It makes us feel young - like we are dating again. Hold back your desire to gag, but it makes us giggly.
3. I love watermelons. Pre-2016 Sasha hated watermelons. It was a defining characteristic. I'd try a slice every few years and fling it away in disgust. Then Nevin asked me to get him one and only the really big ones were on sale. I tried a piece. And according to the sticker, I ate 11 pounds of watermelon in two days.
4. My kids have Love Languages, too. Scarlett's is touch. I discovered that its almost impossible for her to get upset if she is holding my hand or in my lap. It is also impossible for her to remain calm when I deny her a hug.
5. Concerts are amazing. Accidental Earl Sweatshirt. Bluesfest in the pouring rain with The Lumineers. Nostalgic Blue Rodeo. High school gym with acoustic Hedley. I did it all and loved it.
Thanks for all the good times, 2016. Its been a slice. Or ten. Of watermelon.