Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Grapefruit with Roasted Seeds and Cinnamon

grapefruit
My apologies for the blurry picture... I ate it before I noticed the blur.

Our house has been sick a lot the last couple weeks.  Layer that with a very important birthday (i.e. my baby isn't a baby anymore), my return to work, and lack of sleep, and it leaves me feeling a little melancholy.  Even the drizzly, foggy weather reflects my mood.

Ruth Reichl published a memoir this year that a few people I follow are listing as one of their favourite reads of the year.  Truthfully, I probably won't read it, even though I want to.  Its about food, simple food, being therapeutic and how it not only comforts, but also helps you recognize joy in the mundane.

I'm feeling melancholy and I'm sick and this grapefruit is exactly what I need.  It embodies Ms. Reichl's ideas.  The cinnamon and roasted nuts give it this warm, earthy, I-need-a-hug vibe, but then the grapefruit is bright and hopeful and says, "Don't get too low, there's something coming your way."

Grapefruit with Roasted Seeds and Cinnamon
1 grapefruit
Handful of nuts or seeds*
Sprinkle of cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 350*.  Put the seeds or nuts on a baking sheet and roast them for 10-15 minutes.  Don't bother waiting for the oven to heat up, just put them in.  Meanwhile, peel and dice the grapefruit.  When the nuts or seeds are dark and toasty, toss them with the grapefruit and cinnamon.
*The first time, I used pepitas (inner pumpkin seeds).  The second morning, I used walnuts.  Both were good, but I liked the pepitas a little better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...