Monday, 30 November 2015

Big Month Moment: November 2015

Gatineau Ruins

"Someone once told me that women should do two things everyday they love, one thing every week that they treasure, and one bigger thing every month they will never forget." ~ commenter on Modern Mrs. Darcy
I love this idea, and since I only vividly remember the moments chronicled in this log, I am writing down those big things monthly.

Shawn decided to surprise me and take me away for a mini-vacation in Ottawa.  Well, by surprise, I mean he had to tell me on the Tuesday that we were doing something special on Saturday.  That was thanks to the neighbours, who he had arranged to watch the dog, came 'round all dodgey looking for him to talk "about nothing."  And then on Friday he had to tell me that it was an overnighter because my mother-in-law emailed me to ask me what kinds of breakfast foods she should stock up on "for when they come over."  But the fact remains, I had to cancel a trip I had been looking forward to, and was a little bummed about it, and he wanted to do something special for me.

It was so much fun.  He worked within a tight budget (the cost of a very, very cheap cancelled flight),  but we did things I had never done before.  Like go on a hike to the Ruins in Gatineau Park.  He's been there many, many times, and he knows how much I love decaying buildings.

On Sunday morning, we thought about going Christmas shopping, but instead we did something way cooler: the Parliament tour.  It was a edifying, geeky and beautiful thing.  My favourite anecdote was that when Sir John A. MacDonald found out mid-speech that his best friend had died, he paused, hung his head, and cried in front of the House of Commons.  Its such a humanizing story for a very regal place.

After eating light the last two meals, an early morning walk around downtown and the tour, we were ready for a very indulgent lunch.  As in: "What?  They have poutine with bacon, pulled pork, an over easy egg and Hollandaise sauce on top?  Sign me up.  Wait... what?  They have all that with tomatoes, lettuce and pickles on a burger?  Well, I suppose every well-rounded meal needs some veggies... better get that, too."  It was intense and ridiculous, but we split it.  Lady and the Tramp had nothing on us.

So there you have it.  November memories logged.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...