Grilled Squash and Arugula Sandwich

Squasharugulasandwich

I shot this picture way back in June, when I was deep into morning sickness and few things looked appetizing.  We picked up dinner one night and their version was SO good - when nothing was tasting good - that I decided to make it at home.  I made it a bunch of times and ate it until I was literally sick of it.  I took the picture when I was still in love, but shortly thereafter things took a turn and the thought of having another sandwich made me nauseous (morning sickness really brings time-worn cliches to life).

Now that the baby is out and morning sickness is a distant memory, I've decided that I kind of love these flavours together again.  I made it last week with sweet potatoes since I didn't have squash and it was also delicious.



Grilled Squash and Arugula Sandwich
(Inspired by The Masonry Restaurant)

1 butternut squash
1Tbsp olive oil
1 cup loosely packed arugula
1 Tbsp butter
Goat cheese
Sourdough bread (or Pumpernickel is pretty delicious, too)

1.  Preheat oven to 400 *F.  Peel and deseed the butternut squash.  Chop into pieces that are about 2cm cubes.  In a large bowl, toss the squash pieces in the olive oil until coated.  Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (if you aren't using parchment paper, put your cookie sheet in the oven while it preheats to prevent sticking).  Roast for about 40 minutes, until the squash is tender.
2. Take two slices of bread and butter one side - this will be the outside of the sandwich.  Spread goat cheese on one slice.  Layer on the arugula*, a half cup of squash and the second slice of bread.  Grill the sandwich until the bread is golden brown.  As your grilling, put a little pressure on the sandwich to squish it a bit - I think it makes it better.

* It seems like a lot of arugula, but it will wilt down and you'll wish you had more.

Comments

Popular Posts