Merigue Gelato Cake

MerigueGelatoCake by SashaWarner
MerigueGelatoCake, a photo by SashaWarner on Flickr.
Last night we had a few people over for a potluck. One person is gluten-free. If there is one thing our house will never be, barring medical necessity, it is gluten-free. I struggle to imagine delicious desserts sans flour -- I am a cake and pie kind of lady. Lucky for me, Laura Robin of the Ottawa Citizen republished this scrumptious recipe from Nigella Lawson's book, Nigellissima, on Thursday.

I highly recommend it. I'm mostly blogging about it so that if I loose the paper, I can still find the recipe easily.

Merigue Gelato Cake
(from Laura Robin, although originally from Gioacchino Scognamiglio via Nigella Lawson)
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
1 oz (25 g) bittersweet chocolate (minimum 62% cocoa)
1 Tbsp. coffee or chocolate liqueur or rum*
2 to 4 oz (50 to 100 g) store-bought meringue cookies**

To serve:
Chocolate sauce
Raspberries

1. Line an 8x4x3 inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, making sure you leave enough hanging over the ends to fold up over top of the gelato.
2. Whip the cream until stiff, but still soft.
3. Chop the chocolate very finely, so that you are left with shards of chocolate. At first I tried shaving the chocolate, but chopping ended up being much easier and faster. Fold the chocolate and liqueur into the whipped cream.
4. With your fingers, crumble the meringue into the whipped cream. Fold the meringue crumbs into the whipped cream.
5. Place the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Using your spatula, press the mixture into the pan. Bring the excess plastic wrap up over the mixture to seal it. Freeze until solid (about 8 hours, according to Nigella). I left it over night.
6. To serve, remove from the freeze, use the plastic wrap to lift it of the pan, peel off the plastic wrap, and slice the loaf. Garnish with raspberries and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.

*I chose Kahlua, and it was great. There is only a hint of mocha flavour.
**I couldn't find meringue cookies at my local grocer, so I substituted meringue nests. It worked quite well.

Comments

Popular Posts