Kale Salad with apples, cranberried and pecans
One of the salads that an attendee brought along was Deb's Kale Salad from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook, found via the blog Cookie + Kate. Kale is the the love of my life, and should be yours, too. It is so healthy and, with the right dressing, entirely addictive.
Kale Salad with Apples, Cranberries and Pecans
(from Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, via Cookie + Kate)
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1 bunch of kale
4 to 5 medium radishes
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 medium Granny Smith apple
2 ounces soft goat cheese, chilled
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. If you are fancy, toast the pecans at 350F for 5ish minutes, tossing once to make sure they are cooked evenly. If you are just thrilled that you splurged on pecans instead of walnuts, skip this step.
3. Wash the kale and remove the leaves from the stems. The stems are bitter and tough. Tear the leaves into bite sized pieces and place in a owl large enough to toss the salad.
2. Cut the root off the radishes and use a mandolin to thinly slice them. Chop the apple into bite sized pieces.
3. Add the pecans, radishes, and apples to the kale.
4. Measure the dressing ingredients into a cruet or small jar. Add the lid and shake, until well combined. Pour over the kale salad and toss to coat evenly.
5. Crumble the goat cheese on top and toss lightly.
This salad tastes even better if you let it sit for 10 or so minutes, marinating in the dressing.