Wicked

Wicked by SashaWarner
Wicked, a photo by SashaWarner on Flickr.
My mom reeeealllly came to our rescue in June. So as a thank you, I took her out on a date on Tuesday. If I was a guy that wasn't related to her, I think it would've almost been good enough to steal her away from Dad. I'm that good. Except I didn't pay for dessert. I guess, technically, Dad paid for dessert. So maybe I've still got a bit to work on. Here's how it all went down.

We went into Ottawa. Because, obviously, that's where sophisticated things happen.

We stopped at A&W for burgers in a small town on the way. Because, obviously, sophisticated isn't really our style.

Then we went downtown for dessert. Our dessert cost more than dinner, but it was DELISH, and most certainly held more calories (and sophistication!) than any one person should have in a day.

Finally, we made our way over to the National Arts Centre to watch Wicked. It was my first ever musical and it was amazing. The music was great, and it didn't take itself too seriously, so it was hilarious. We had a great time.

The highlight of the night was at the end of the show. We made our way out of the NAC. No small feat. Its designed for crowds, but there are stairs up and down and up and down, and if its your first time, you really have to pay attention to where you are going. When we were about ten feet from the door, I looked at my Mom. She was on a mission. You could tell she was already thinking about how to navigate the one-way streets without getting lost, since we rarely go downtown. I looked around.

"Mom, if the show is over, how come no one is leaving?"
"Ummm... I don't know."
FYI readers, musicals have this thing called Intermission. Perhaps you've heard of it?
Mom, sheepishly: "Is the show over?"
Attendent: "No, silly! Haven't you seen the movie? The witch isn't even dead yet!"
Mom, thinking of her only way to redeem herself: "No, I've never seen the movie. I had no idea." Right? The Wizard of Oz? Only the most popular movie of like all time? Never seen it.
(Next time, I vote for imitating chain smokers, and waltzing back in with an air of tobbaco smoke and confidence, like we knew what we were doing the whole time. Hindsight is 20/20.)

Like I said, sophistication isn't our style. Great news though, Wicked is even better if you stay for the whole thing.

Comments

  1. we are SO funny you and I...I just wanted to add...I was a bit stressed not just being downtown...but we were driving my truck...all 6'8" high of it...and after trying to park several places and realizing it was easier said than done ....because everything was labeled at entrances with 6'3"... I am a country bumpkin with a tall truck and no sophistication....so yes I knew the witch was not deadyet...this one or the one in the musical...but God is my witness....I am not one to give in to whatever the "crowd"is doing!!!haha...It was one of the best evenings of my life....but I will be sticking with my hubby...good job Sasha...you outdid yourself:)xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts