Chocolate Banana Breakfast Bars

Sigh.  March Break is coming to an end.  I was just starting to get back into the stay-at-home-mom groove.  I even squeezed in a play date yesterday morning.  I miss play dates.

I accomplished a lot this week without accomplishing anything at all.  Like road tripping to a baptism and spending time with family.  Like spending the entire day outside with the kids today.  Like reading the second and third books of the Hunger Games trilogy.  Oh ya.

On the flip side, I did nothing on my To Do list.  So, as of Monday I'll be back to my frantic, forgetful self.  Today, though, I'm just going to enjoy the sunshine, my kids and maybe a green beer.

Here's the recipe I promised the play group moms on Friday.  It's a cross between muffins and granola bars.  A real hit with the pre-school crowd.

Chocolate Banana Breakfast Bars
Adapted from Bake It Up, by the Ontario Government
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup soft margarine
1 medium-sized, mashed banana
1 cup plain yogurt
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3 cups quick cooking oats
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly grease a 13x9 pan with margarine or cooking spray.
2. Beat the margarine and sugars together.  Mix in the banana, yogurt, eggs and vanilla.
3. Combine the flour, flax, baking soda and cinnamon in a separate bowl.  Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture.  Mix well.  Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.
4.  Spread dough onto the baking pan.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Once cooled, cut into 24 bars.

Comments

Popular Posts