Chocolava Cookies and a Lesson in Preparation

Chocolava Cookies by SashaWarner
Chocolava Cookies, a photo by SashaWarner on Flickr.
Boy scouts always say failure to prepare is preparing for failure.

I think I’ve mentioned before that Wednesday nights are my favourite fitness class night (a.k.a. my only fitness class night). A long time ago, I heard that chocolate milk is one of the best post-workout drinks your can have. Equally as good, or better, than the heavily marketed, over-priced flavoured water drinks you can find on grocery shelves. I have no idea if this is in fact true, or if the study was funded by the Dairy Farmers of Canada, but I like the idea. And I don’t think it’s a far stretch to say that if chocolate milk is an excellent post-workout snack, then plain milk and chocolate cookies are also great post-workout. So last Wednesday, in the five spare minutes I had between putting the kids to bed and rushing out to my 8pm fitness class, I pre-measured the dry ingredients and assembled all the other ingredients on the counter to make chocolate cookies. Fifteen minutes after I got home, I was going to be enjoying my healthy, just-as-good-as-…ade snack, fresh out of the oven.

I was prepared.

And then I failed. I should have seen it coming. I was carrying a little extra tension on, and in, my shoulders. My first swim practice in almost a year was the night before. Shoving the stupid winter stroller with 6-inch wheels through the snow. A wee bit a anxiety about going back to work. The four-minute plank we held in class. So my neck muscles got frustrated, and said enough was enough. They weren’t going to work anymore without screaming at me. They failed.

But I was prepared.

Waiting for at home was the basically premade cookies read-to-go. I have never been so happy with myself in all my life. That’s not true, but I was pretty happy with myself. My neck may have been in pain, but my hands were in great shape. Ten minutes after I got home, with a little help from Shawn, my hands were lifting divine cookies to my mouth.

Not to worry, one week, a professional massage, several impromtu I’m-a-great-husband massages, and a little rest, and the neck is back to normal. A friend came for dinner tonight and I made these cookies again. They are delicious, so I had to share (delicious and have only 100 calories and 2.5 grams of fat per cookie!)


Chocolava Cookies (from The Ottawa Citizen)
1-1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ butter, softened
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla
icing sugar, for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl combine flour , sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt, breaking up any large chunks of brown sugar.
2. Add butter and combine until mixture is well combined and crumbly. Use a pastry cutter, fork or your fingers.
3. Add eggs and vanilla and stir by hand until the dough comes together. At first it looks like there isn’t enough moisture, but it’ll get there. I used my hands to mix it.
4. Place a few tablespoons of icing sugar in a shallow dish. Roll dough into 1-1/2 inch balls and roll balls in icing sugar to coat. Place them about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12ish minutes, until just set around the edges but still soft in the middle. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts