Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding Cake

As you may have noticed, I've been a little absent from the blogging world lately. I'm just trying to let you down easy. There is a big black hole looming on the horizon that I'm certain will suck up all my energy and leave me with no time to blog. In four short weeks, I'm going to be back at work. Back in the classroom. Back teaching other people's kids instead of my own.

I'm already starting to get my head in the game (did you notice the reference to a black hole up there? That's such a ninth grade science teacher thing to do.) And accumulating advice, because, call me a bad mom if you want, but I'm not feeling that badly about going back to work. Instead, I'm terrified of post-return-to-work laundry, bathroom cleaning, and -- gulp -- suppers. Honestly, how is a person supposed to work, feed the children and smell nice all at the same time?

Fortunately, as it turns out, I'm not the first person to ever wade into these treacherous waters. I'm surrounded by moms who have done it, who are doing it, and are surviving. And so are their kids. I had a very uplifting conversation with two such moms a couple days ago. They are really great moms - the kind that have successful careers in meaningful fields, are super healthy, volunteer for everything going on in their kids lives and from the outside looking in, you would say they have their "stuff" together. You know what they told me? "Sasha, you'll swear you'll never eat at McDonald's. You will. We eat at McDonalds. Sometimes once a week. And you know what, Sasha? Who. Cares. You do what you need to." In other words, you don't have to be perfect. In fact, imperfect is preferable. It makes life happier.

The other piece of advice I've gotten over and over in the past month, when I express my real concern about supper is to embrace the slow cooker. I don't think the following recipe is what they had in mind, but I like to ease myself into things with a bit of, well, sugar.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding Cake
(From Canadian Living)
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
6 tbsp natural peanut butter
1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 cups boiling water

1. In slow cooker stoneware, whisk together flour, granulated sugar and baking powder.
2. Whisk together milk, egg and peanut butter; stir into flour mixture.
3. Cover and cook on high until cake is firm to touch, 2 hours.
(Apparently, you could do this in a 13 x 9 and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for a half hour instead).

At an hour, you might freak out and be tempted to scrape it out of the slow cooker and bake it in the oven.  Don't.  It will work out.

Comments

  1. you are such a great Mom Sasha...it will all work out...I know it will....and there may even have to be the odd dinner at Nana and Poppa Bears instead of MacDonald's...and that's ok too:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts