Not from Scratch Week: Big Boy Cake
This recipe is so easy that my two year old made it. Its the first thing he has made by himself, so we had to take a picture. Doesn't he look so proud? And, as per classic two year old, he insisted it was his birfday for the rest of the afternoon because he had a cake.
Big Boy Cake (a.k.a. Quick and Easy Cobbler)
(From Jennifer Low)
2 apples, peeled and cut into large dice
1/2 540-mL can cherry-pie filling
1/3 cup (75 mL) vanilla cake mix
couple pinches of cinnamon
1/2 cup (125 mL) water
1/4 cup (50 mL) melted butter
vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
2. Spread apples in an 8-inch (20-cm) square baking dish. Dollop pie filling over top and spread out; filling doesn't need to be perfectly even.
3. Sprinkle cake mix over top, squeezing out bigger lumps as you go. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of cake mix.
Mix together water and butter. Drizzle over top of mixture to moisten cake mix (Mommy did the cinnamon and butter/water sprinkling).
4. Use the handle of a spoon to poke mixture every couple of inches to blend in liquid slightly. Liquid doesn't have to be perfectly mixed in. If there are some little bits of dry cake mix left on top, that's fine.
5. Bake for 40 min. or until top is golden and edges are bubbly. Scoop and serve with vanilla ice cream.
p.s. The best thing is that you only use half of the pie filling and half of the cake mix, so you can make it again later in the week.