Friday, 11 November 2011

Cinnamon Bun Muffins

Today I made Cinnamon Bun Muffins. To celebrate. Because its Friday. And because Scarlett finally had a decent nap for the first time this week.

I highly recommend them, but I also highly recommend you take my advice at the bottom of the post.


Cinnamon Bun Muffins
(adapted Karen Barnaby, published in the Ottawa Citizen)
For the muffins:
3 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
½ tsp salt
3 tsp rapid-rise yeast
1 1/3 cups warm milk
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

For the topping:
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup brown sugar
¾ tsp ground cinnamon

For the icing:
1 cup icing sugar
1 to 2 Tbsp milk

1. Butter, or spray, a 12 muffin tin.
2. In a small bowl, place yeast in the warm milk. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add the milk mixture, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and eggs to the flour mixture. Beat well until smooth.
3. Divide the batter between the 12 cups in the muffin time and let rest 15 minutes. While dough rests, combine the topping ingredients. Sprinkle evenly on top of batter and briefly swirl* it through each muffin with the tip of a butter knife. Place the pan in a cold oven, then set the temperature to 350 F.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned at the edges and the centre of the muffin springs back when lightly pressed. Let rest 5 minutes then remove from pan.
5. Cool at least 30 minutes. Whisk the icing sugar and milk together to form an icing and drizzle it over the muffins.

*I don’t think the original author clearly articulated what needs to happen when you “briefly swirl” the topping. It must be buried within the muffin. Make sure you only leave a very small amount of crumble on top. In the event that you choose not to heed my advice and you open your oven and find flames around the bottom of said oven, do not panic. Deal with the flames, and pop the almost done, slightly smoky-flavoured muffins into the microwave on high for five minutes, and they will still be delicious. Speaking from experience.

Now I need some advice. Any tips or tricks for cleaning an oven?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sasha!
    The very same thing happened to me when I was a newly wed and trying to entertain guests. The glaze caught on fire while I was socializing, and the oven was in full view of the guests! I remember my friend's dad saying, "Your oven is on fire." I ran over and blew out the flames, announcing, "It must be done!"
    Love your blog!! Keep writing!
    Bee Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I'm glad I'm not alone! And that I'm tall enough to reach the ceiling smoke alarm ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...