Apple and Potato Soup

I am tired.  And cranky.  Nevin is tired.  And cranky.  Scarlett is... nine months old.  It hasn't been a great combo of people today.

But, as you know if you are a regular reader, food can really turn my day around.  So this afternoon, I'm making myself my favourite soup and homemade buns.  Taking my destiny into my own hands, so to speak.

From here on out its going to be optimism and hugs.  Wish me luck.

Photo via Softpedia




Potato and Apple Soup
(From House and Home Magazine)
2 tsp butter
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion roughly chopped
2 apples, peeled cored and chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
500 g potato (about two large), peeled and cubed
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup apple cider (I use apple juice)
salt and pepper
grated cheddar cheese for garnish (a must!)

1. Heat butter and oil together in a large pot on medium high heat until the butter is melted.  Add onion, garlic and apple and cook until slightly carmelized, about 10 minutes.
2.  Add potatoes, stock and apple cider and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
3.  Puree soup with an immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor or stand blender until smooth.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve garnished with cheddar.

Comments

Popular Posts