Squash Week: Pumpkin Muffins

Yesterday was one of those days.  The kind of day that one is so happy that one's mother lives close enough to come over and help.  Except when one's mother is vacationing in Europe.  Then one is up the creek, without one's paddle.

Scarlett spent a better part of Friday night crying, apparently for no good reason, because when she decided to stop crying, she proceeded to play for the next hour and a half.  Shawn and I didn't get much sleep.  I ended up sleeping on the couch downstairs with Scarlett in the baby swing next me, while Shawn, who works Saturdays, went back to bed.  At 6a.m. I awoke to a very loud thump-thump.  I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say the house shook.  I layed on the sofa for a moment going through in my head what furniture could have made that kind of noise on the second floor.  There was only one thing: it was the sound of someones head hitting the floor.  Obviously worth getting up for to check on.  When I got up stairs, I found Shawn sick to his stomach and sweating profusely.  He had passed out.  I need not remind you that that is a 6 and a half foot fall for his head - I think it bounced.  I value Shawn's head and his ideas most days, so I thought it was worth going to the hospital to double check on.  Except we have children.

Enter the neighbours.  Not only do I have a fantastic Mom, but I also have great neighbours.  Since her kids like to start the day at 5am, my neighbour was up, and was more than happy to drop everything, bundle up the kids and have a pyjama party at my house.  We are so lucky to be surrounded by such kind people.

Off to the hospital we went.  Happily, Shawn's head is as tough as it is smart.  Besides a bit of a headache, he is neurologically as sound as he was before the incident.

The neighbours were very deserving of a HUGE thank you - the best I could do was bake some muffins.  Here's the recipe.

image from Love from the Oven


Award-Winning Pumpkin Bread Muffin Recipe
(Adapted from Cindy on Chowhound)
* I doubled the recipe and made 24 muffins
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cups whole wheat flour
¼ tsp. double-acting baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sugar
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. ground cloves
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup apple sauce
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling), I used homemade
1/3 cup water
½ cup craisins (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter or line 12 muffin tins.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon.
3. In another bowl beat together the eggs, oil, pumpkin puree and water.
4. Add to the flour mixture and beat until the batter is combined. Stir in the craisins (if using). Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins.
5. Bake in center of preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.

Comments

Popular Posts