Lazy-Day French Toast

This morning everything went exactly according to plan.  They did exactly what I wanted them to, without me even asking.  In other words, they all slept.  I was alone in a quiet house. 

It all started with Scarlett waking up exactly one minute before my alarm was set to go off.  A quick feed and she went back to sleep.  She went back to sleep.  A banana snack later and I was off to fitness class. 

I got back and they were all still asleep.  I put the french toast in the oven (I prepped last night) and sat at the kitchen table reading while I waited for the french toast to bake, hoping that child #1 wouldn't wake up, demanding "french toast NOOOOOOW!"  He didn't.  I just read.  Quietly.

They all woke up, at the same time, without my help, a half an hour later, just as the french toast was coming out of the oven.  Life never, ever, ever goes that way in my house.  It was divine. 

So was the french toast, so I'm sharing the recipe.  It was on Steven and Chris last week.  You prep it the night before, so its easy-peasy in the morning.



Lazy-Day French Toast

8 slices 100% whole-wheat bread
A few scoops of add-ins (see list below)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk (or half table cream)
8 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup maple syrup
4 tbsp melted butter
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice (I didn't have any and it was still delish)

Optional Add-Ins:
Sliced bananas or apples
Apple butter
Sliced peaches or apricots
Fresh berries or berry preserves
(I went with sliced apple [it didn't brown], craisins and dried apricots)

1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Butter 9- x 13-in. baking dish.
3. Cut bread into triangles, leaving crusts on. Lay them in overlapping rows in the dish. If including any add-ins, tuck them in around the bread. Set aside.
4. Put the flour in a bowl. Gradually whisk milk (or cream) into the flour. (The flour will give the custard a better texture for French toast.) Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Pour over bread. Use a spoon to lightly press the bread into the egg mixture. Let soak 10 minutes. Press bread down again.
5. Combine syrup, butter, brown sugar and lemon juice to make glaze. Drizzle over bread. (If you are making it the night before, leave this until the morning).
6. Bake approximately 40 minutes or until toast has puffed up. (It will drop back down after it cools.) The centre should still be soft and slightly wobbly. Let stand a few minutes before slicing and serving.

Comments

Popular Posts