Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Healthy Double Chocolate Brownies?

Shawn: "Just a heads up, on Thursday I'm going to start being healthy and getting in shape."

Sasha: "Oh no, not one of your health kicks again."

Shawn, shaking head: "You are the worst for this. I love how you are so supportive."

Sasha: "But this means no more pie.  I can't eat pie by myself.  Its like a pieaholic, it means I have a problem."

Shawn: "I'll still eat pie, just maybe not for breakfast and snack.  I never did that until I met you."

Sasha: "So like maybe a pie will last more than 12 hours?  Okay.  I think I can live with that."

Thursday is quickly approaching.  We need healthy desserts, stat, before Shawn goes over to the dark side.  So last night I got out another handy Government of Ontario recipe publication (seriously people, that's really where are taxes are going) and tried the most ridiculously healthy dessert I could find.  And you know what?  It was good.  It tasted even better today, the next day, which as you can read above, means I am being supportive because it has lasted more than 12 hours in the house and I didn't have any for breakfast.


Double Chocolate Brownies
(from "Bake It Up: Tasty treats for healthier school bake sales")
1½ cups canned black beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
¾ cup whole-wheat flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tbsp canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
¼ cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line an 8-inch (20 cm) square metal baking pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch (5 cm) overhang at opposite ends. Lightly spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine beans, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. With a wooden spoon, beat in eggs, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until just a few moist crumbs cling to a tester inserted in the centre. Do not over-bake. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Using foil overhangs as handles, remove from pan and transfer brownies to a cutting board. Cut into squares.

2 comments:

  1. Just saw this now! Ya! Thanks for the huge tip!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...