Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Nevin's Quilt

When I was in college, my roommate had an enviable blanket.  It was a quilt that her mother made her while she was expecting.  It was full sized and hand quilted.  You could just picture her mom and a young woman, stitching it thinking about the little person who would carry it with them through life. 

I knew, when I became a mother, it was something I wanted to do.  Of course, I had never made a quilt before.  What was supposed to be my gift to my newborn, quickly became the best first birthday present ever, which then was downgraded to the best second birthday present ever.  I finished it and gave it to him a couple weeks ago.  A little behind schedule.  Its not hand quilted (except for the first three squares I did, that helped me realize that I would take it to the grave if I continued).  Its a simple pattern and has little to no visual charm, but I made it.  For him.  And I used some old shirts from his father and grandfather, so its mot just me that is sewn into it.  A little help from Nana, almost three years, a lot of mistakes, a couple of sewn fingers later... here it is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...