Sunday, 14 August 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

My parents' garden is bursting forth with all sorts of summer goodies, including zucchinis.  I'm at the point now where I'm starting to grate and freeze the bounty for mid-winter muffin treats.  Not one to put up all the goodness for the future, I made two dozen of my favourite chocolate zucchini muffins today. 

The recipe below is how I like to make it, but the ones I made today were more of an improvised version... since I had no eggs, no baking powder, only a teaspoon of baking soda, and only about 3/4 cup of sugar.  They're much less lumpy, and much more cakey when you follow the actual recipe.  I was also so distracted about how many things I was leaving out, that I was half way through measuring the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl before I noticed, so there was no proper premixing. Still delicious enough to have three though.



Double-duty Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
(from Epicure Selections)
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 ml) whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup (125 ml) cocoa powder
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
1 Tbsp (15 ml)  Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) baking soda
1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
1/2 cup (125 ml) unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
1 Tbsp (15 ml)  Vanilla Extract
2 cups (500 ml) grated zucchini

1. Line or grease muffin pans. Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
2. In a bowl, whisk flours with Cocoa, Sea Salt, Baking Powder and baking soda.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk oil with applesauce, sugar, eggs, milk and Vanilla Extract. Stir in zucchini. Pour over dry mixture and stir until just moistened.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centre of muffins comes out clean; about18–20 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...