Tuesday, 30 August 2011

THE Chocolate Cake

This actually happened yesterday, but by the time it was done, blogging about it had to wait until today.

Yesterday, I made chocolate cake.  There are two separate, yet equally important, stories that led to the creation of this cake.

Prologue (Story #1).  About 15 years ago, the rest of my family was away at hockey on my brother's birthday, so I decided (/my mother told me) to make my brother a chocolate cake.  It was THE best chocolate cake we had ever eaten.  When I went to make it again, I could not find the recipe.  THE cake has never been recreated.  Since then, my brother goes to restaurants specifically to taste their chocolate cake in hopes of reliving THE cake experience.

Story #2.  Yesterday afternoon, Shawn and I had a discussion.  It was one of those husband/wife discussions where the wife gets a wee bit frustrated, stops listening to the husband and ends the conversation in a huff, without a solution.  Approximately five hours later, I came up with a solution.  It was brilliant.  In fact, so brilliant that my darling husband had suggested it in the original conversation, at some point after little wifey had stopped listening.  When I told him, he just said, "You've got to be kidding me," banged his head off the wall three times, said "I hope that leaves a mark, so you remember this moment," and smiled at me like he was totally in love.  Thank Goodness I ended up with such a patient guy.  As a result, I felt the need to make him a "Your-wife-does-have-some-redeeming-qualities Cake."

So I was flipping through my recipes and found a recipe for chocolate cake that was scrawled on a scrap sheet of paper that on the top had "Slave Girl vs. Night Essay" and a few thesis statement ideas scratched out.  Its been a looooong time since I've written a thesis statement.  Could it be the original recipe for THE cake? 

I made it.  It was A.MAZ.ING.  I've typed out the recipe below, but fair warning, it was late at night so I didn't measure the ingredients carefully.  Only a second recreation will confirm whether or not the recipe, as written, is for the original THE cake.

Shawn, you still looooooove me.


Chocolate Cake
2 c. flour
1 3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. cocoa
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 c. milk
3/4 c. shortening
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease two 9 inch round baking pans.  Mix all the dry ingredients together.  Mix all the wet ingredients with a hand mixer.  Combine all ingredients with mixer on low speed; beat until well mixed.  Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.  Pour batter into pans and bake 30-35 minutes, until toothpick at center comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and completely cool.

Icing
1/3 c. margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
About 3 Tbsp. milk (add more later if neccessary)
4 heaping Tbsp. cocoa
About 1/2 c. icing sugar; keep adding until thick.
(I actually quadrupled this recipe.)


2 comments:

  1. What do you mean you stop listening to your husband? That never happens in our household! The cake looks to die for and I'm gonna give it a whirl!
    P.S. - Has your brother ever tried the Sunflower Bake Shoe Chocolate Cake? It's pretty darn amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might have to take a little walk over to Sunflower Bakeshop... tomorrow Scarlett will be 7 months and 1 day. Thats cause for celebration isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...