Friday, 22 July 2011

When life gives you lemons... make Rasperry Lemonade Pie!

Last night, I was not at my best.  When one only turns on ones air conditioner on the very worst hottest days of the year, one should not be surprized when said air conditioner breaks on the hottest day of the year.  The day when the forecast-ed low is 32 degrees Celsius.  So we unbundled the kids and had a little family camp-in in the basement.  Scarlett in her playpen, Shawn on the couch, and Nevin and I on an old Ikea mattress.  So, I was a little frustrated when I went to bed.  And at 11pm. And midnight.  And 2am.  And definitely at 3am, when Nevin repeatedly kicked me in the face (must've been quite the dream).  And 4am.  But not so much at 5:12am when the kids were up for the day; at that point I was just tired.

No word of a lie, I started nodding off while reading Nevin his library books at 11am.

But, after lunch, things started to take a turn for the better.  Since the house was so hot, both the kids had monster naps, which meant I could too.  I woke up ready to fix the day.  That is where the Raspberry Lemonade Pie comes in... because in my world, nothing fixes a day like pie.  It was our first time this summer.  Its perfect for hot summer days.  And before dinner, Shawn's brother came over and fixed the air conditioner.  Thank Goodness for the tradespeople in our lives!  Enjoy!

Raspberry Lemonade Pie
(Adapted from Southern Living Magazine)
- 1 3/4 cups sweetened condensed milk (I just use one and a half cans)
- 1 1/4 cups canned frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 3 cups frozen whipped topping (again, no measuring needed... just cut a 1-L tub of Cool Whip and use 3/4)
- One pre-made 9 inch deep-dish graham cracker or shortbread pie crust, plus 2 custard-size ramekins to hold excess filling
- Fresh raspberries, mint leaves, to garnish

Whisk together first 2 ingredients in a large bowl until smooth.  Fold in whipped topping.  Pour into crust to fill.  (Scoop extra, if any, into ramekins.)  Freeze at least 4 hours, or until firm.  Garnish with berries and mint.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...