Really Slow Food

Yesterday was a very busy day, and at the end of it, I was exhausted.  So let me catch you up on my biggest project of the day:  I made pitas.  It was my first time.  Why would I do such a thing?  Well, Shawn and I have been dabbling in vegetarian/cheap meals, so I had made chickpea Greek salad for supper.  The problem with such meals is that they aren't really something to look forward to after a long day at work, so I upped the ante a little.

Nevin, lining things up, as usual.
I have posted the recipe below, but I have to be completely honest with you.  The ingredients are easy, but it takes some commitment to make pitas.  I think it took longer to make these things than it did to give birth to my daughter.  It was totally worth it though, when it worked and the big dough balloons came out of the oven.

p.s. I took some great pics along the way, including a picture of my famous pita fish (What?  It wasn't famous?  It is now.  What?  Only three people read my blog?  Well, the word "famous" is all relative.)... he is really cute - his cheeks are all puffed up - but I knocked the camera and now the USB is broken.  So, you have to make due with a picture of Nevin from May.  He's cuter than the fish anyways, right?



Pita Bread
(from the Ottawa Citizen)
Makes 8 pitas
3 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
2 1/2 cups wholewheat flour
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
Cornmeal, to dust baking sheet

1. Dissolve yeast in the warm water in a large mixing bowl.  Leave 5 minutes to activate and bubble.
2. If mixing by hand, stir in flour and salt until combined, then turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface.  Knead until dough is smooth and elastic.  About 15 minutes.  Place dough in a clean greased bowl and cover with a plastic bag in a warm spot until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
3. Punch dough down turn onto a floured board; let rest 5 minutes.  Divide into 8 equal balls; loosely cover them with a clean towel and leave another 30 minutes.
4.  Flatten each ball with a floured rolling pin into thin, flat circles about 8 inches across.  Lightly sprinkle cornmeal on a baking sheet.  Transfer 2 circles to a baking sheet.  Cover with towel and leave to rise another 30 minutes.
5.  Preheat oven to 500 F.  Place baking pan in middle shelf for 5 to 7 minutes, or until pitas have blown up like a balloon but are still soft - do not let them become crisp and do not open door while baking.  Repeat to bake remaining pitas.
6. To store, place pitas in plastic bags or foil.  Pitas can be frozen after cooling.

Comments

Popular Posts